Tin for flavoured chicory coffee

sheet metal, around 1880, height: 30 cm

J.H.L. Hoffmann’s chicory factory was founded in Parchim in 1804 and grew into a medium-sized enterprise. The factory converted chicory roots into a coffee replacement and coffee supplement. In 1813 Hoffmann received a ducal monopoly for the manufacture and a ban on the import of competitor products from overseas. 60 people were employed in the factory in 1865. The product palette was extended to include coffee replacement mixtures e.g. fig mocha coffee. The company existed until around 1935.

Text: W. K.

The exhibit refers to:

Mecklenburg until 1945

Look here for the original exhibit:

Museum der Stadt Parchim

Museum der Stadt Parchim

Lindenstraße 38
19370 Parchim